Yesterday I realized it's been over a month since I've posted an update! There's been a lot going on. Luke is hanging in there. Sam and Jay are wrapping up their college schoolwork. Laura and I are...very tired, but also hanging in there. Here's the latest:
1) Luke's treatment regimen continues. Each night he takes 4 different chemo drugs orally. The side effects have been noticeable (dizziness, digestive issues, fatigues, typical chemo stuff) but manageable. Luke is really glad he can take these treatments at home. Each Thursday he visits the clinic in Grand Rapids for blood work and a physical examination from his Doctor. Each cycle is 21 days, and Luke in the 2nd cycle, so he's now on day 29 of his clinical trial. Luke will have diagnostic scans and a bunch of other invasive tests done on day 42, so they are scheduled for Thursday, April 27th. We would, as always, covet your prayers for absolutely zero cancer to be present in Luke's body.
2) We moved! We found a great house, just a couple of miles away, and we moved into it on April 3rd. We had a LOT of help. There's no way I'll remember everyone who helped, but we are so grateful to Ryan, Gary, Kim, Zach, Marj, Wayne, Eddie (The Edifier), Mark, Greg, Arika, Rob, Bob, Brian, Lee, Courtney, Cindy, Roger, Bryan, Frank (The Foreman) Jason, and MAN THAT'S A LOT OF PEOPLE! Luke loves the new house. It's just so much easier for him to get everywhere with everything being on one level. We are grateful for the opportunity to make this change. Oh, and P.S., we put our old house on the market and we received a full price offer on the first day. We said yes :)
3) Luke has a new (see photo) blade prosthetic attachment for running. It's made of a REALLY expensive composite, and not covered by insurance, which is why we are so thankful that Luke's prosthetic guy was able to convince the company rep to donate the blade attachment. Luke has learned how to switch out his regular prosthetic for the blade attachment. It is very slow going, but Luke is working with his PT to master this new skill. It's a really cool thing to watch, because Luke has always loved to learn new things.
4) Luke's buddy Brian Regan came to East Lansing and performed at the Wharton Center. Brian's manager contacted us and invited us to arrive early and hang out back stage with Brian. We gave Brian a framed photo of he and Luke on stage during the show Brian performed back in August, and then we had Brian sign (see photo) an identical photo for Luke to keep. Brian and his manager were very grateful to see Luke, and the comedy show was hilarious.
5) Luke got accepted on the Work Crew for Young Life camp at TimberWolf Lake in late July / early August. Jay will join him as a member of the Summer Staff. It's been a dream for both of them.
6) Jay got a job at the new Chick Fil A restaurant here in town! He will be the perfect Chick Fil A ambassador, and will surely win over the entire staff just by being Jay :)
We are so thankful for your continued prayers and encouragement. It means so much. As always, our prayer remains the same. We can't stop, WON'T stop praying for God to heal our boy. (James 5:14-16)
James & Lu
(for Sam, Jay, and Luke)