Recently I've received a bunch of "how are things with Luke" texts and emails. I didn't realize it's been more than three weeks since our last update. We've settled into somewhat of a routine. Luke is going to school full time (all "A" grades so far) and participating in the marching band. After school each day we (Laura and I alternate driving) head to Grand Rapids for radiation treatments on Luke's lower back. Those will last until November 1st. On Thursdays Luke has outpatient chemotherapy. Weekends are mostly time for rest. Physical therapy is on hold for now because of this full schedule.
Our prayer is that this aggressive regimen will be the final steps needed to remove all of the cancer from Luke's body. One final push. All of the cancer. Gone. That's our prayer.
Some specific prayers and needs:
1) Luke's has been taking a steroid to treat "pneumonitis" in one of his lungs. The upside is his persistent cough is completely gone...we are so thankful. The downside is that use if this steroid make Luke sweaty and moody and "redistributes fat to the face and back of the neck." He is already weaning off the steroid...pray that these side effects subside and that his lung is completely healed.
2) We could use some help with meals in October / November. Click here.
3) We have received a ton of gas cards for the daily drives to G.R. Also, one of our friends has a parent who owns a Fazolis, and gave us a huge gift card for meals there when we're coming back from Grand Rapids. Luke loves Fazolis...so do Jay and Sam :)
4) Pray for Luke to be able to make progress with his prosthetic leg, even when his physical therapy is on hold.
5) Luke and his friends had a great Bible study during the summer...he'd love to find a time to be able to continue that during the school year.
6) We are all so tired, physically and emotionally. Pray for patience, strength, peace, and rest.
7) Mason and Okemos played a "Compete for a Cause" soccer game to raise money for childhood cancer. Two players, one from each team, played the game in Luke's honor. It's humbling to know so many people are thinking of Luke and praying for him.
We cannot thank you enough for your continued thoughts, prayers, and support. Honestly, it's been such a long process, and God has used His people to sustain us. We are so grateful. Our prayer remains the same. We can't stop, WON'T stop praying for God to heal our boy. (James 5:14-16)
James & Lu
(for Sam, Jay, & Luke)
10/7/2016 06:10:33 am
My name is Terri Shaver, I am the founder and former ED of The Oldham Project, a local non-profit that provides free portrait sessions for men, women and children fighting life -threatening illnesses. I am a personal friend of Dawn Hall and she can speak to our mission and credibility. We provide a free, custom session, a disc is fully retouched high resolution images, a full set of prints, a free ticket to attend our annual gala and a wall portrait that will be on display that night. Please consider making a am appt for Luke. We live to have young people come in and make their sessions very special. It's a way for them to escape thoughts of treatment and have fun while we create images that will last for generations. Please take a moment to see our website and our Facebook page for more information and to see some of the people we've photographed. Our number is: 855-696-5342. Id love to photograph Luke personally, so you can ask for me if you'd like. Thank you for your time!
10/7/2016 10:56:52 am
Thanks for the update!!!
Leave a Reply.